Valid US visa in expired passport

This is Stephanie of IMS. Today I will be answering a question about US visas.


Question: I have a valid US visa, but my passport has expired. Can I still travel to the United States?

Answer: As long as your visa remains valid, you are able to enter the US, but you must carry both old and new passport with you. Both passports must be the same type (e.g. regular or official) and must be issued from the same country. The immigration officer at the border will check your visa in the old passport, and if you are permitted to enter the US, your new passport will be stamped with along with the annotation “VIOPP” (visa in other passport). Do not attempt to remove your visa from the old passport to stick it in the new one yourself; this will invalidate your visa.